Monday, July 22

Unexplained UFO Sightings Near Nuclear Weapons Sites, Facilities

     An article at The Hill explores “interactions between UFOs and ultra-sensitive U.S. nuclear assets [that] date back nearly eight decades.” The author, Marik von Rennenkampff, highlights several instances throughout history, here is a sampling below:

By The UFO Chronicles

• The Green Fireballs Phenomenon: Beginning in 1948 airline pilots began reporting sightings of “green fireballs.” The subject of aerial phenomenon was classified secret, and the 4th Army approached Dr. Lincoln LaPaz, an American astronomer from the University of New Mexico and a pioneer in the study of meteors for assistance. In a secret meeting at Los Alamos in February of 1949, LaPaz stated for the record that, “Nothing like this to my knowledge, has ever been observed in the case of meteorite drops.”

• UFO Incident at Kirtland Air Force Base 1957: “On Nov. 4, 1957, two control tower operators with more than 20 years of combined experience said they watched from a remarkably close range as an elongated wingless and engineless object descended slowly over the runway and hovered over the base’s nuclear weapons storage area.”

• The Socorro Incident – 1964: On April 24, 1964 in Socorro, New Mexico, local police officer, Lonnie Zamora reported seeing “an egg-shaped flying object land” and he “saw two occupants who alighted after it landed ….” This incident was investigated by local authorities, the FBI, the Air Force and civilian UFO groups. To date the case remains unresolved.

As noted by Rennenkampff: “this extraordinary encounter took place in the vicinity of the Trinity Site, where the first nuclear weapon was detonated in July 1945.”

• UFOs Over Nuke Missile Fields 1966/1967: “On August 25, 1966, an Air Force officer in charge of a missile crew in North Dakota [Minot AFB Missile Field] suddenly found that his radio transmission was being interrupted by static. At the time, he was sheltered in a concrete capsule 60 feet below the ground. While he was trying to clear up the problem, other Air Force personnel on the surface reported seeing a UFO- an unidentified flying object – high in the sky. It had a bright red light, and it appeared to be alternately climbing and descending. Simultaneously, a radar crew on the ground picked up the UFO at 100,000 feet.

When the UFO climbed, the static stopped,” stated the report made by the base’s director of operations. “The UFO began to swoop and dive. It then appeared to land ten to fifteen miles south of the area. Missile-site control sent a strike team [well-armed Air Force guards] to check. When the team was about ten miles from the landing site, static disrupted radio contact with them. Five to eight minutes later the glow diminished, and the UFO took off. Another UFO was visually sighted and confirmed by radar. The one that was first sighted passed beneath the second. Radar also confirmed this. The first made for altitude toward the north, and the second seemed to disappear with the glow of red. This incident, which was not picked up by the press, is typical of the puzzling cases …”–J. Allen Hynek

“In March 1967, all ten of the ‘Minuteman I’ missiles [Malmstrom AFB] under my control were disabled while an oval shaped UFO hovered at close range over the front gate of my launch control center in Montana. I was sworn to secrecy about this incident until 1994 when the U.S. Air Force declassified a similar incident at the request of my investigator, Jim Klotz under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). At that time, I believed the declassified incident of ‘Echo Flight’ to be the one in which I was involved. As a result of receiving declassified documents from AF records about the Echo incident, I began to publicly disclose what I recalled.”–Robert Salas

• The Rendlesham/Bentwaters UFO – 1980: “Early in the morning of 27 Dec 80 (approximately 0300l), two USAF security police patrolmen saw unusual lights outside the back gate at RAF Woodbridge. Thinking an aircraft might have crashed or been forced down, they called for permission to go outside the gate to investigate. The on duty flight chief responded and allowed three patrolmen to proceed on foot. The individuals reported seeing a strange glowing object in the forest. The object was described as being metallic in appearance and triangular in shape, approximately two to three meters across the base and approximately two meters high. It illuminated the entire forest with a white light. The object itself had a pulsing red light on top and a bank(s) of blue lights underneath, it maneuvered through the trees and disappeared. At this time the animals on a nearby farm went into a frenzy. The object was briefly sighted approximately an hour later near the back gate.”–Charles Halt