Obedience Training also evidence of a very clear sign of responsible ownership, it is so widely known that if your dog can demonstrate these basic obedience commands as well as walking on leash with ease and some other simple task, your dog can receive the American Kennel Club (AKC) Canine Good Citizen Certification.
This Certification is an evidence that your dog is sociable, well behaved and reliable to public. In some state this CGC Certification is a yardstick of your dog behavior and responsible dog ownership.
Dog owners especially those who are new in general faces difficulty in training their dog, it is because they do not understand that dogs think and act different from us. They failed to make much progress in dog training because they failed to realize that dog communicate differently from us.
The major mistake made by new dog owners is having a lot of command and inconsistency in their training module. Remember that consistency is very crucial, do not say 2 words for the same of action that you want your dog to obey. Here below are some standard basic dog obedience commands that you should start with before trying to other more more difficult command, that will aid you as dog owner to feel comfortable taking your dog for a walk in the park or in public places.
Come: this command is used to calling back your dogSit: this command tell your dog to be in sitting position.
Stay: the dog must keep still in any position whether it is sitting, down or in that location where the command is given until released by youDown: this command tells the dog to go down with its front feet and rear legs are touching the ground.
Here are some tips how you can actually increase the effectiveness and the speed of your dog learning:
1. At all times you must use the same command words and in the same tone or speed of speaking
2. Have patience, your dog will fail you.
3. The dog has single track mind, teach one command at a time, do not try to teach a lot of command in one single training session
4. When your dog did something right or wrong, your rewards and punishment should come almost at once. Do not punish or reward after a long time break from the act itself because your dog will not be able to relate the two.
5. Develop bonding with your dog by taking him out for an exercise or play with him. All training session should be based on this bond.
6. Before teaching your dog, you should get highly regarde dog training manual and go through it thoroughly before starting your dog training session. It is much more difficult to ask your dog to unlearn wrong things than learning new things
7. Do not call your dog to come to you to punish, you will give them wrong understanding that the word come means punishment.
8. Never allow other people to give any command to your dog more so when you are training him.
9. Never train your dog when you are not in the mood or when you are not feeling well.
10. Do not get violence with your dog.
Obedience Training is a clear indication of responsible dog ownership. Every responsible dog owner should strive to train his/her dog to at least acquire these basic obedience skills.