(1) Check that an up-to-date version of Python is installed. To do this, start up a terminal
window and type python. You should see the version number, which must be 2.4 or greater.
There will also be a python prompt like ">>>".
(2) Check that CherryPy 3.1 or newer is installed. At the python prompt, type
(3) Check that up-to-date Java is installed. To do this, type in a terminal window "java -version", and you should see a version number which is 1.5 or greater. If not, go to http://java.sun.com and follow the instructions.
(4) Download the Vim package that you can find at the link above. Unzip and untar. Change directory to the top level, where you find README.txt and the script that starts and stops Vim web service, it is called runVim.py.
(5) Edit the file runVim.py in the top-level directory. You will need to set
(6) Now start the Vim service. In a terminal window type:
python runVim.py start
and leave this window open for messages.
(7) Point your browser to the URL for the installation. For a desktop install, this is http://localhost:8888
(8) To stop the service, type
python runVim.py stop
|Meet the Developers