By Secretary of the Air Force Public Affairs
/ Published May 24, 2022
The image Guardians present in uniform is a symbol of service identify and culture, and Guardians at all levels contributed to defining these updates to ensure all uniforms and accoutrements accurately represent the excellence and heritage of service members of the U.S. Space Force.
“Guardians have been waiting a long time for this policy to drop, and I couldn’t be happier to get it out there and start getting this stuff on the shelves,” said Chief Master Sgt. of the Space Force Roger A. Towberman. “I appreciate their connection, which brought us these ideas, and the character they’ve shown waiting patiently for us to work through the policy process. It’s time to space it up!”
SPFGM2022-36-01 Space Force Guidance Memorandum Establishing U.S. Space Force (USSF) Dress and Appearance Standards specifies all of the updates.
The new uniform items are additions Guardians may opt to wear on the interim service dress uniform, and the grooming and uniform policy updates are the outcomes from the service’s first uniform board held in 2021. These items will further identify members as Guardians as they continue to wear the interim service dress uniform until the new Space Force service dress uniform is available.
The new uniform items include:
– Enlisted rank insignia
– Hexagonal nametag
– Hexagonal U.S. lapel insignia for enlisted Guardians
– Distinctive service hat badges for officers and enlisted
– Space Force “Delta, Globe and Orbit” buttons
Below are some examples of a few changes to grooming and uniform policy:
– Adjust mustache restrictions to outer corners of the mouth in a horizontal line (versus vertical) and no more than ¼ inch from the end of the corner of the horizontal plane.
– Increase color options for nail and lipstick colors to ensure allow maximum variations for all female skin tones. The approved color palettes provide a wide array of color options
– Allow males to wear inconspicuous concealer/foundation to cover up scars/blemishes
– Expand tattoo policy to match current sister service policies. These policies combined make the least restrictive to date and allows for neck and hand tattoos.
– Provide wear guidance for the new enlisted Guardian rank insignias
Finally, this policy temporarily make mess dress optional for all officers until a Space Force mess dress is available.
The policy memo can be accessed here.